a Teaching [moment]

[Moment 5]

Teenagers are interesting creatures. 

One of my teens in particular is either very aware of the state of their body or completely oblivious. The words, "I forgot about my nose" recently emanated from this youth's mouth, followed quickly that they did not forget they had a nose, just that they forgot that they needed to tend to the part of their face that's often plague with adolescent-pox. 

I was supposed to be getting ready for bed and was utterly exhausted and in horrible pain when the subject came up, and I really just wanted to put it all off until the next day, but I instead decided to seize both the opportunity and the moment to share some facial skin care tips and tricks. 

We explored and discussed the benefits of face wash and pore strips. I showed them how to wash their face with the least sensory ickiness possible. We got out some "nose strips" and applied one of those. 

It was just an ordinary teaching moment with one of my children, but at the same time, it was a special moment. I could have just told them for the hundredth time to wash their face and left it at that. Taking the opportunity to walk them through the process provided more understanding for the teen and a bonding moment for the two of us. 

Comments

Popular Posts