To Give Up


At what point does one give up?

It is currently 3:04AM and I'm wide awake. At 9:00PM I was exhausted and ready for sleep, but in too much pain to fall asleep. Now, I'm at the same time physically exhausted, yet wide awake. I'm treading the balance between having enough time to get sufficient, although far from ideal sleep and getting just enough sleep to feel miserable for the rest of the day. I might feel better if I just stay up, but I also might not. 

For healthy people, this decision wouldn't be as complex as it is for me. If I don't sleep, my adrenal insufficiency has greater risk of rearing its ugly head in a very bad way. If I don't get enough sleep, same issue. The rub is, I can't sleep not only due to pain, but due to the steroids I take to treat the adrenal insufficiency. 

At what point do I give up on sleep and instead begin my day?

My limit is usually 4AM. After that, sleeping is futile if I have something going on in the morning. I just take my thyroid meds and beg my husband to make me breakfast when he gets up at 6 so I can take my other meds and supplements and hopefully remain awake through those things I must do. And then, when nap time comes, I banish my children to other rooms and sink into blissful and usually deep sleep for a few hours. 

Today, I intend ... 

... to give up worrying about getting enough sleep and greet sleep with open arms when it decides to descend on me.
... to have a restful day if sleep isn't an option, to ask for help if I need it, and to b gentle with myself when it comes to my to do list.
... to find humor where I could choose frustration.

Comments

Popular Posts