[a moment] to take it in

 

[moment 361]

We had guests for brunch on Christmas Eve Eve and exchanged our Christmas Angel and other gifts with them. We brought brunch to my parents on Christmas Eve and looked through photo albums and chatted and had a nice time. We brought a ham dinner to my parents' house on Christmas Day and enjoyed good food, good company, and amazing gifts. 

Baking, cleaning, cooking, preparing, shopping, heating, baking, making, wrapping, and more baking preceded each of those gatherings. And then there was the usual Christmas Eve and Christmas morning hustle and bustle in our house. To say I was exhausted upon arrival at my parents' house was an understatement. 

As we waited for the ham to be done, the green beans to steam, and the final guest to arrive, I paused a moment in the doorway from my parents' kitchen to their dining room and realized just how much I enjoy that view, especially on Christmas. And especially with one of my children inhabiting my favorite chair. 

The nativity scene my mother painted tells its story of hope and love from the buffet. The stockings are hung in the living room, the names on them changed to reflect the current gender identities and names of the grandchildren. The Christmas tree lights illuminated a lifetime of memories in the form of ornaments - from the little drummer boy and a partridge in a pear tree to Annalee angels to Camp Calumet ornaments. 

Taking a moment to take in the view, I felt peace fill my previously exasperated spirit. 

Comments

Popular Posts