[reason 23] new paths

 Jim, Mal, and I went on an early morning Rails to Trails walk. Having only made it halfway along the 1.2 mile stretch before heading back last time, I was determined to go farther this time. When we got to the three-quarters mark, I knew I wasn't going to make it all the way to the end and back again ... and possibly not back again from where we were. So Jim headed back to get the car and Mal and I continued the remaining quarter mile or so to where the trail came out on a main road. 

Not soon after continuing our journey, we encountered water on the trail. A lot of water on the trail. It was quite flooded for quite a way. There was a narrow path to the right of the original path, which eventually made its way up a hill and had several sections where I was fairly sure I'd slide down to the watery path below. Mal and I chatted along the way, she seeming to have full confidence that I could navigate the path. I silently panicked, wondering whether my legs and my energy levels would hold out until the end of the path, and whether or not walking back to the car the way we came would have been easier. 

Toward the end, the path cleared up and we were once again on easier, level terrain. As we waited for our ride to appear, I took a moment to reflect on the fact that I'd done it. I'd crutched over 1.2 miles, on sketchy terrain for part of it, and survived.

Sometimes needing to take new paths to get to your destination is just what you need to boost your confidence in yourself and your abilities, which is a most excellent reason to live.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts