[the moment] after

 

[moment 334]

There are moments that separate life into before and after.

Before, I didn't know so many things about how they were feeling and doing. Now I do.

Before, I didn't know how great the pain was that they were hiding. Now I do.

Before, I didn't know to what extent our mental health system is screwed. Now I do.

Before, I didn't know the extent to which advocacy is needed in a healthcare setting for someone who uses a different name and different pronouns than they were assigned at birth. Now I do.

Before, I didn't know how little healthcare professionals know about so many medical conditions and how much explaining it takes with every single interaction with hospital staff. Now I do.

Before, I didn't know how much of a fight it would be to get proper mental and medical care. Now I do.

Before, I didn't know so many things. Now I do. 

Before, I didn't know how much I have to learn. Now I do.

Before, I didn't know how to make things better. I still don't. But we're working on it moment by moment, together. 

Always remember...

You are loved. 

You are important.

We're glad you exist.

We want you to stay. 

Hope is alive.

Your story is not over. 

Comments

Popular Posts