[a moment] to do what is needed

[moment 328]

I'd made so much gluten free stuffing, roasted two turkeys, made cranberry sauce and sweet potatoes. My husband made mashed potatoes. We were all set to bring Thanksgiving to my parents' house. Well, all but one of us. That family member just could not. 

I lay in bed with them as they apologized. A sibling and I told them that apologies were not necessary. We offered suggestions that might make going work. We also reassured them that staying home was an option, if needed. And that no one was angry or would be angry. We would do what was needed - what they needed. 

And so I stayed in the bed with my child and everyone else left for the Thanksgiving feast at the grandparents' house. And I wasn't angry because this is what the child needed and also because I was still in my pajamas and that in and of itself was fantastic. I was upset, but not angry upset, more concerned upset for my child who was so obviously struggling. 

And then something amazing happened - peace. Peace settled over the house and over me and over them. Eventually we pried ourselves from the bed and sought out food. I removed perfectly good meat from the turkey my husband had finished carving in a hurry. I put stuffing from the turkey in the oven to heat it up. I opened a can of cranberry sauce from the pantry. And I made a glorious Thanksgiving sandwich, which, in my opinion, is the best way to eat Thanksgiving dinner anyway.

And they ate mushroom pho, which is an interesting choice for Thanksgiving. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts