Andes [moments]

[moment 325]

When I was growing up, my grandmother (my Nanna) worked and my grandfather (Grampy) was retired. On some Saturday mornings, my parents would drop my sister and I off at "Nanna's office" so we could go out to lunch with Grampy while Nanna finished working and then sleep over Nanna and Grampy's house. 

At Nanna's office, occasionally we'd see Mr. Gaber. Mr. Gaber was Nanna's boss. He usually had Andes mints in his suitcoat pocket. If he didn't, we had to get them out of their hiding place, which just happened to be the big old safe in his office. He'd start the combination, and then entrust either my sister or I with one of the numbers and we'd get to spin the dial to that number. Somehow, I don't think it was the same number twice. Then he'd finish the combination and we'd get to help open the heavy safe door to retrieve our prize. 

Every time I eat an Andes mint, I think of Mr. Gaber and how important he made me feel, entrusting me with helping him open the safe. 

Comments

Popular Posts