[Seek] Your Mother


Mother's Day in the time of quarantine looked a little different. My husband, youngest child, and I made a clandestine trip to my parents' house to drop off some goodies on their front porch for my Mom for Mother's Day - her antique rocker restored by my husband, sign made by my husband and I, and giant card from the grandchildren.
 


Then we were off to Spruce Brook Falls in the Naugatuck State Forest for an early morning hike. After two migraine-ridden weeks spending most of my time in bed, it was wonderful to be able to seek time in Mother Nature. 

The beauty of this place, within sight of the highway, astounded me. This short hike turned hours-long as we stopped to explore our surroundings and take hundreds of photos. We climbed up on rocks, went over a sketchy bridge...Alia even went from rock to rock into the middle of the brook so we could take amazing photos.

I was so taken in by the beauty around me, my pain receded to the far reaches of my consciousness as we wended our way along Spruce Brook. What a glorious start to the day!

On our way home, we stopped at church to drop off $300 worth of food, purchased with donations from our congregation. My mothering heart was filled with joy that I could help our church take care of families in need in this way.



First stopping for caffeine-laden treats at Dunkin', we then headed home, listening to Our Savior Lutheran Church's Sunday morning Facebook livestream on the way. We had a few good chuckles at the conversation, and my have come out having invented a quarantine alternative to Coffee and Conversation: Beer and Banter! Once home, I settled into bed to enjoy the Mother's Day card made by my children, sip my macchiato, and watch worship.
 


On a day when I couldn't even hug my own mother, I got to envelop myself in the embraces of our mothering God's creation and my own children. Mother's Day looked different this year, but different wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

Comments

Popular Posts